Thursday, July 21, 2011

Would you like some cheese with this "Whine"?


Since I am on the downhill stretch of the pregnancy I’ve started to reach my limit on things that have annoyed me throughout the pregnancy.

Just thought I would list a few of them here...

When I would tell people my due date (July 24) they look at me and say wow that’s really going to be hot. Geez thanks like I wasn’t already aware of this. Guess I shouldn’t have purchased all of those maternity winter jackets.

Parenthood “know-it-alls” and the statements they make that begin with “you have no idea”…Usually something negative like: You have no idea how much sleep you are going to lose. You have no idea how messy your house will be...etc. Most of the people that say things like this have multiple children and I want to say if parenthood was so awful the first time around why the heck did you have more than one? This brings me to my next irritant which is all of the parental “advice” you get once people find out your pregnant. Now don’t get me wrong I completely welcome helpful tips but I am referring to the people that take their “advice” to the extreme and get angry at the thought of you not following through with their suggestions.

The judgment on the size of my belly. Some people say I am either really big or I am really small. Or the need to compare my belly to an object…My What to Expect app on my iPhone is guilty of this. It now tells me I am carrying a 6-9 pound watermelon. Thanks, I need to be reminded of that.

Feeling like a zoo animal. I now have so much empathy for the pandas at the zoo. What I mean is when you are far along in your pregnancy people tend to “observe” you and watch you like they would an animal at the zoo. If you happen to flinch or make a face they scare into thinking the baby is about to slip out and fall on the floor. If labor would only be that easy! :)  There was one morning I had to be at work early for a meeting and did not eat breakfast before I left home. The meeting had donuts, I was hungry so I went to get a donut. As I was walking back to my chair a man was staring and laughing at me. He even said “enjoy being able to eat like that for the next few days”. WTH! I hate to inform him I actually did get hungry before I was pregnant. For those of you that know me well, No I did not take my donut and throw it at his head. I simply smiled, ate my donut and then proceeded to go get another one!

Strangers approaching you and asking you personal questions. When are you due? What are you having? What are you naming the baby? I suppose it just baffles me that someone I will more than likely never see again even cares to know any details about my life.

The last one is going to sound mean but I can’t help it. It is really annoying the last few weeks of pregnancy when people ask you over and over in the same day how you are feeling. I am nearly 40 weeks pregnant the later part of July, and remember according to What to Expect I am carrying a watermelon. How the heck do you think I feel? I feel like the Easter marshmallow peep after you put it in the microwave. Don't misunderstand, I am glad people have concern and I don't mind them asking once or even twice a day but when it gets to be 4-5 times within one day it can be a bit excessive. :)

Ok I suppose that is enough complaining for one day.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit this is the first blog post of yours I've read. I was literally laughing out loud at my desk at work! Thanks for making my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Jennifer! I'm definitely not the typical pregnant person. :)

    ReplyDelete