Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Things I don't get...

Happy Tuesday!  Today's post is about things I don't "get" or fully understand.
Lady Gaga
O.k. I know she is an "artist" but I really do not get Lady Gaga.  From her wearing a dress made out of meat to her alter ego Jo Calderone character she's created I just think she's strange.  Of course I know part of the reason for her antics is to keep and create buzz about her (which of course obviously is working since she is included in this blog).  I don't want to offend any of her "little monsters" out there so maybe it's just me getting old and uncool but if she's ("he" when she is her Jo character) is your cup of tea then that's definitely your perogative but I just don't get it.

The next thing I don't "get" is how there is so much pressure put on new mothers that are planning to go back to work.  Several people have made comments to me about going back to work.  Everything from kind of criticizing how much maternity leave I am taking or the fact that I am even going back to work at all and putting Brody in daycare. What I find really ironic is Bill took one week off work and no one ever commented or said anything like "wow you're only taking one week off work" and NEVER did anyone ever question whether or not he intended to go back to work after the baby was born.  I've always planned to go back to work after having the nugget.  I've worked really hard to get where I am in my career and I'm just not ready to give that up.  Plus the last time I checked my bank account I hadn't won the lottery so even though we would be o.k. financially I'm not willing to make the lifestyle adjustment to living on just one income.  I don't feel guilty about going back to work or putting my child in daycare (I know that may change when I drop him off) but with all of comments it's almost like I am starting to feel guilty about not feeling more guilty.  I don't want anyone to misinterpret what my opinion is on the subject. If you want to go back to work after having a child then I think that's GREAT...if you decide not to then that's also GREAT. Basically I feel that you should do what is best for YOU and YOUR family. To each his own right? 

The last thing I don't get is the insane media attention surrounding Beyonce's pregnancy announcement.  Don't get me wrong I like Beyonce and I LOVE me some Jay-Z and I definitely enjoy my share of entertainment news.  I completely understand media outlets like E! devoting a majority of their broadcasts to such an announcement but is it really national news worthy?  I'm not saying it shouldn't be a blip on the news but certain news organizations had it as their lead news story.  Really?  I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment